Battlebridge is the former name of the King's Cross area of London where most of its books are edited. The village of Battlebridge, the name of which may relate to a battle fought by King Alfred against the Danes in the 9th century, was once located just south of Pentonville Road between Grays Inn Road and King's Cross Road either side of the River Fleet (which once flowed from Hampstead Heath to Blackfriars Bridge).
A monument to King George IV called King's Cross was erected in 1830 opposite the site which was later to become the railway station of that name. The monument was condemned as cheap and vulgar, and demolished in 1845. The name nevertheless lived on and gradually ousted Battlebridge as the name of the area.